- 1 cup finely chopped or grated carrot/ beetroot/ yam/ beans/white pumpkin/bitter gourd/Snake gourd/ beetroot etc
- 2 tsp coconut/sesame oil or ghee
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp finely chopped ginger
- ¼ tsp asafoetida
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp coriander powder
- ¼ tsp pepper powder
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp salt
Keep a heavy-bottomed saucepan on the fire. When the pan is hot, add 2 teaspoons oil. When the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds. When the mustard pops add asafoetida and turmeric and coriander powder. Add the vegetables, mix well and stir for about 2 minutes. Then add salt, mix well and cover the pan, cooking the vegetables on minimum heat until tender. When the vegetables are nearly done, add black pepper powder and mix well.
- For coconut flavoured veggies, add a handful of grated coconut in the last few minutes of cooking
- For a coconut curry, add 2 finely chopped tomatoes when you add the vegetables. When the vegetables are tender add 1 cup of coconut milk and cook for a further 5 minutes, making sure that the coconut milk does not boil as it will curdle.
- Blend some herbs with the coconut milk, e.g. coriander, mint, parsley etc.