2 handfuls of freshly grated coconut or dry grated coconut
2 chopped Indian Gooseberries ( amla)/ Juice of one Lime/ Juice of half a lemon
1 cm piece of chopped peeled fresh ginger
2 handfuls of freshly chopped coriander/parsley
1 handful of freshly chopped mint
1/2 tsp of salt
1/tsp black pepper powder/ 2 black peppercorns
1/2 cup water or as required depending on desired consistency ( normally chutney is the same consistency as a batter)
1 chopped green chili ( optional)
Put all ingredients ( except water) in a mixer grinder. Grind the ingredients as much as possible without water then add a small amount of water at a time and continue grinding. Keep adding water and grinding until you have the desired consistency. If you are using the juice of lime/lemon instead of amla, then add this add the end.
- Use locally grown herbs such as basil/parsley/chives etc in place of or as well as coriander and mint
- Replace the amla ( Indian Gooseberry)/lime with 2 tomatoes
- Make without coconut and increase the quantity of herbs
- Use buttermilk instead of water
- Lightly sautee some grated carrot/beetroot and when cool, grind with the other ingredients to make a carrot/beetroot chutney.